Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Unhappy Smart Update super slow?

This one's a stumper. I've been using SD! for a long time, love it, never had an issue. Yesterday I put it on an Intel iMac (2.66 GHz, 24", late 2009 model, 640 Gb hard drive, 10.5.8) and ran a full initial backup to a Western Digital 640 Gb USB 2.0 portable drive, single partition, GUID. It took a few hours, which I was expecting.

Today, I went to do a Smart Backup (which, on my Macbook Pro, might take all of 15 minutes if I've been busy), and SD! is acting as if I never ran the first full backup. It's been running half an hour, the progress bar has barely moved, and it says most of the files are being copied (instead of just the new or changed ones). I'd say it was doing another initial full backup except for that "most of the files" part. It reports a few of the files are not being copied.

Help?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I don't know why that would be, Richard, unless you really did have a lot of content change, or you're using an older version of SD and it's recopying the OS under Snow Leopard, but that can't be because you're running Leopard - even though a late 2009 model would come with Snow Leopard, so that's a bit confusing...
Old 11-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
I don't know why that would be, Richard, unless you really did have a lot of content change, or you're using an older version of SD and it's recopying the OS under Snow Leopard, but that can't be because you're running Leopard - even though a late 2009 model would come with Snow Leopard, so that's a bit confusing...
This iMac did come with 10.5.6 on it, had those install disks in the box, along with a Snow Leopard upgrade which I have not yet installed. Also, I'm using SD 2.6.2 - can't get much newer than that.

I guess I'll let the Smart Update continue, see how long it takes, and then try it again when I *know* there's been no (or little) content change, and report back. It is a puzzlement.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator

It definitely is. When it finishes, send the log with "Send to shirt pocket".
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Done, and done. I ran another Smart Update immediately after the 5 1/2 hour one, and it only took the expected 10-15 minutes. I've sent the log via attachment here (for some reason the "send to Shirt Pocket" button didn't work). Thanks in advance for any insights!
Attached Files
File Type: txt SuperDuper log.txt (10.2 KB, 4575 views)
Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Yeah, this doesn't tell us much (other than "working right"), but it sounds like it's working as expected now, Richard, which is good.

Tags
backup, slow, smart update