Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2005, 12:51 PM

Clarify a couple things please

This sounds great!
So let me get this straight:

Quote:
- Partition the LaCie before you start so that you can have a partition for a backup of the built-in drive, and create any other partitions you might want, too -- including a Safety Clone of about 8-12GB
ok. makes sense..

Quote:
- Clean install Tiger to the LaCie
So, when I run Tiger CD on my powermac, it will ask me where to install Tiger I guess..You're saying do a clean install to the Lacie main partition.

Quote:
- During the LaCie first boot, use the built-in Tiger Migration Assistant to move your files and applications from the built-in drive to the LaCie
How do I boot to the Lacie? Is there some option key thing I do?
So, I'll be moving my user/network files from my powermac (which still has OSX Panther) to the Lacie OSX Tiger install? Right?

Quote:
- Check out Tiger on the LaCie
See how it works.. ok, cool.

Quote:
- If you're happy, you can then use SuperDuper! to copy it back to the internal.
So, copy the Tiger OSX that I have on the Lacie, back to my internal..
Should I erase (format) the existing stuff on my internal first..?
This is where I am a bit confused.

Quote:
At that point, you can create a Safety Clone on the LaCie (as well as a backup), and boot from *that* -- since that'll be your boot drive, you'll get the potential benefits of the speed, but you'll still have your user files on the PowerBook -- and thus you'll remain portable!
Also confusing to me (sorry) .. Assuming I have OSX Tiger now on my internal running fine, should I get rid of the OSX Tiger running on the Lacie so that I can make a Safety Clone of my inetrnal OSXTiger to the Lacie...thus giving me the advantages you list above? Or should I leave the OSX Tiger on the Lacie and make a saftey clone of my internal onto the Lacie .. and somehow it will know which install to boot off of.

Thanks for any clarification. I'll also let you and your forum know if i have noticed any speed improvements across various apps.

- Dom