Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2006, 05:01 PM

Restored backup breaks MS Office.

Having a problem with Super Duper 2.1.1 under OS X 10.4.6.

I have two internal SATA drives. The original is partitioned in half. The other, added later, is a single volume. There are also two external FireWire 800 drives from OWC. Actually, I purchased the enclosures and installed my own drives. These are each broken into two volumes for various purposes. One one external, I have a minimal install of OS X with all of my disk utilities (Disk Warrior, Drive Genius, etc.). Mainly used to do maintenence and cloning of the other drives. The second external has a volume for near line backup of images for my work and my clone backup of the main internal drive on the other partition.

I started up to the minimal install of OS X on the 1st external drive. This to ensure the drive I was cloning was not in use as the boot volume. Don't know if it makes a difference to Super Duper to do this. Anyway, I then used the Smart Update option of the registered version to create the initial clone on the 2nd external drive.

Everything was fine. I could install any software for testing I wanted and after I was done playing around, I would boot to the minimal OS X install and Smart Update the clone on the second external back to the main drive. All would be back to the way it was and working perfectly.

Now the problem. If I startup to the cloned volume on the 2nd external, even if I don't do anything while on that drive and later do a Smart Update (or even a full copy) back to the main internal drive, all of the Office applications are broken. None will launch. I get the Microsoft Error Reporting box on all four apps. These are the only apps affected.

I've tried restoring the entire Office folder from a known good .dmg backup created with Disk Utility. This doesn't help. Neither does removing the entire Microsoft preferences folder, or its font caches.

I have a feeling this is Tiger related rather than Super Duper. The reason being is that I also tried the same procedures with Carbon Copy Cloner. As soon as I boot to the backup drive, then the main drive cannot be restored so Office works.

Any idea what's going on? Is there a particular file that needs to be removed in order to fix the issue?

Thanks.