Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 04:14 PM

Newbie needs advice for Tiger install prep

Greetings - I am trying to prepare my G5 for installation of Tiger, from my current 10.3.9. A how-to found on MacFixIt suggested using SuperDuper! to create a backup first. It looks like a great product. The trouble is that I've read through the User Guide twice and, owing to my own ignorance and mental roadblocks about clones, images, etc., I really don't understand which of the many options I should be pursuing. So in essence, I need someone to tell me exactly what to do right now so that I can get on with my Tiger install instead of spending a few hours learning the SD application, and possibly messing up my data. I'd rather just install Tiger and hope for the best. I'm not lazy or stupid, but I need to get Tiger going ASAP in order to get some other urgent work done. Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me through this.

I have a pair of 160 GB drives internal to the G5. The boot drive has about 100 GB of space used up. The second drive has only about 60 GB available. The second drive is not partitioned, and has folders and files on it, some of which are unique to that drive (archival material) and some which are current backups of important documents from my boot drive that I don't want to lose.

Please advise, thanks!!
Old 06-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If you've used 100GB on one drive and have another drive with only 60GB available, you just don't have the space necessary to do a backup.

What you should do is go buy an external FireWire drive from LaCie, OWC or Wiebetech. For your case, I'd suggest a 250GB unit. Make sure it's FireWire, and don't buy an off-brand drive, as it probably won't support Mac boot.

OK, Once you get that, partition it into a 160GB partition and a second of the leftover to hold the 2nd drive.

Then, use "Backup - all files" -- with "Erase, then copy" or "Smart Update" -- to back up from the first drive to the first backup partition, then do the same for the 2nd drive to the 2nd partition.

Subsequent backups should use "Smart Update".

Does that help?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:01 PM

Wow, I'm impressed with that response time! No wonder the Version Tracker users love you!

Yes, that was a very helpful answer, because it tells me that I need to proceed with Tiger since another hard drive isn't in the budget for a few weeks. That said, I'll be curious to re-visit your product when I do get a large external drive for backups. I have a full copy of Retrospect Backup sitting unused and intended for that eventual purpose, but I'm sensing that SuperDuper! might be a useful tool in addition to or in place of Retrospect. Any comments on that front, self-serving or otherwise, would be welcome.

I wish you continued good fortune with your software and company!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Fusspot. If a drive is coming into play in the next few weeks, you might want to consider waiting before upgrading to Tiger. I'd hate to see anything happen... but, of course, it's up to you!

Best of luck to you as well.