Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2005, 09:36 AM

Cannot copy from external backup to HD

Whoops, just tried to post this but it was rejected. This is my second attempt so I hope it works.
In brief, I have a G5 iMac running 10.4.2 with two user accounts. One account is for me, the other is for my husband. He has a 12inch Powerbook, also running 10.4.2. We share a partitioned external 120Gb hard drive in a firewire enclosure for backup purposes.
For the past 10 days my husband's powerbook has started to sound very 'loud' (as if the fans are running full bore all the time) and the PB itself is very hot in the bottom left hand corner. I asked the tech at my local Apple dealer today what the problem could be and he told me that it sounded as if the hard drive was dying!!! PANIC. I came home and backed up the PB to the external firewire drive...I then thought I would copy the files from the external drive to my husband's account on my iMac. However, when I logged into his account on my iMac and connected the external drive and started SuperDuper it won't allow me to copy from the external drive to 'Macintosh HD' - this option is dimmed. The only options that are 'active' are my clone and my husband's clone.
I know I've done something very basic incorrectly but I don't know what. Can someone please explain, in simple terms, what I should have done?

Cheers
Tricia