Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-29-2021, 10:19 PM

Rosetta?

In your blog, you say "Users on Apple silicon systems with older (pre-2019 or so) licenses will need to either purchase a new license or run under Rosetta." But I think I have an old license, and yet my 3.5 is identified as "universal", which means that it should work fine under silicon without Rosetta. But it refuses to work without it. What's going on?
Old 11-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I don't understand the question. It's a universal App, and will run natively. But as I said, old licenses cannot be validated with native code, because we don't have any native code to validate them with.

As such, when running natively, old licenses won't work.

"Universal" doesn't mean "the same code works on all platforms". It means "this application has specifically been compiled, multiple times, in order to support different architectures"...in this case, Apple silicon and Intel.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:22 AM

If it will run natively on silicon, what prevents it from running on my silicon machine? I guess I don't understand how license validation relates to this, and why a license has anything to do with the operating system. Pardon my confusion, but as far as I've understood, a license is just a deal between me and you.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I explain at the blog, Dan. You can use the license if you run SuperDuper under Rosetta. But we cannot validate the license under Apple silicon because eSellerate did not ever create a 'native' license library for Apple silicon before they went out of business.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:18 AM

Thank you. The blog does give details. I guess I'm just a little unclear how the license verification process works. I gather that the OS reaches out to eSellerate to validate the license, and since eSellerate isn't there, that won't work. One would like to believe that you could just file the same license numbers with your new provider, but maybe you can't do that, and the old SuperDuper doesn't point to the new provider in any case.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Actually, no. The license is validated locally using a validation process that eSellerate provided in library form. That library is only Power PC and Intel.

They didn't (and wouldn't, on request) provide us with the code, or a different mechanism that we could use to validate the licenses. Without that method, we couldn't do it on Apple silicon.

We transitioned to our own licenses when they went out of business. So we can validate our post-eSellerate licenses because we "own" that code, and thus can compile it as needed for PPC, Intel, Apple silicon, etc.

That's why I explain in the panel that the details are technical...