Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 AM

Creating a crontab entry for SuperDuper!

Yes, I know that SuperDuper! has its own scheduling system but somethimes my machine in not always on or is asleep when the time comes. I have a registered copy of Macaroni (system preference pane). The help section says I can create my own jobs if I know how to write the command line instruction. So I would like to know how to write one for SuperDuper! so that when my machine wakes up or powers up, Macaroni will check to see if SuperDuper! has executed and run it if not. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
This is not an easy task, actually -- I really can't write this
script for you. But, if you use the scheduling technique in the "One Touch Button" FAQ entry, and set the program you create to run on an iCal schedule, as the alarm action, it will run on wake...
Old 06-08-2009, 12:41 PM

I found the directions for creating the symbolic link and think I followed them correctly. In iCAL under alarm I selected "Open File" and selected the new symbolic file I created. What got copied to iCal was "Copy Job". I left the "time" at 15 minutes. But it didn't work.

Last edited by mustbjones; 06-08-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: corrected for action
Old 06-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator

It should work. I don't know why it wouldn't. You moved it into a different folder than Saved Settings, etc? Does it work if you run that "copy job" by hand in Finder?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 AM

It is in the folder Saved Settings. When I first created the link it looked like a regular document icon. After clicking on it, it turned into an AppleScript looking icon (still with the little arrow.) I double clicked on the icon and SuperDuper! did launch and start to run. Can we conclude from this that neither the day(s) of the week nor the time are saved in this file?

Because I was adding and deleting the iCal events strange things now show up in the drop down box. Under action it says things like "Open 'Copy Job' 15 minutes before", "Open 'Copy Job' on 6/8/2009 at 6:15pm", "Open 'Copy Job' on 6/23/09 at 6:30pm". I find this very strange because the events time is 2:30pm.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator

I can't explain why iCal isn't doing this right, but "open file" as the alarm event should just work...