Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Please help fix my scheduler which hasn't worked in years

Hi dnanian,

I've been using SD for a really long time on many computers and client's systems. But, for my personal setup, I've been having and working with scheduling problems for what seems like years. On my Mini it's never worked perfectly with 8 schedules setup to run every night (this computer never sleeps). For the past year, the scheduler runs maybe once a week. I tend to check it once a week at this point, and almost always I need to manually "copy now" in scheduled copies just so I have the data backed up (which always works).

I'm guessing this goes back to me messing with cron or other sh*t in an attempt to fix scheduling problems about 1.5-2 years ago. Now I'm ready to tackle this problem again and get this solved once and for all. I really need my scheduled backup to work without needing to check on them.

So, my question is this:

Can you please provide instructions to uninstall/erase/clear any and all settings (superduper and anything else you can think of) that might mess with superduper's scheduler?

Thank you very much!
Brian
Old 09-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Delete all your existing schedules, open Terminal and empty the crontab with

Code:
crontab -r
then recreate the schedules. That should be it.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 PM

thanks, trying all that now. also converting sparseimage to sparsebundle -- not sure if that's really much different or not. will report back.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcometa View Post
also converting sparseimage to sparsebundle -- not sure if that's really much different or not.
One advantage is that compacting a sparse bundle (using "hdiutil compact …") is much faster.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:40 PM

scheduling worked for 5 days.

this morning woke up to the all too familar "copy job" window that can't be closed (needs to be forced quit). Of the 5 drives that were supposed to backup early this morning, none did. This is exactly the same problem I've been having for years. So much so that I have an applescript to force quit the copy job window for me. This is a major issue with superduper imo and unless you know what is causing this, may cause me to completely abandon it and search for something more reliable. I hope you know what's wrong. *No log file available in console or SD, from what i can tell.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
What exactly does the copy job window say? I run a lot more than 5 scheduled copies a day, every day, and just haven't seen anything like this, Brian... at least not without some other basic problem with the OS or system.