Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 PM

Multiple Sparse Bundles to 1 Drive

I'm trying to backup selected files from two internal drives to an external drive. The external drive does not have to be bootable, this is just to backup important folders from each drive to an external drive that I can keep offsite.

I would like to use sparse bundles instead of partitioning the drive into 2 partitions because I am not sure how large each sparse bundle will grow over time. One may be larger than the other, I'm just not sure at this time.

I created two copy schedules. The first schedule will select files from Drive 1 to a sparse bundle on the external drive, and the second schedule will select files from Drive 2 to a second sparse bundle on the external drive.

Here's where I run into trouble. Obviously I don't want to select the "On the following schedule" option because I will not be keeping my external drive connected. This is just a routine to create an external backup from time to time that I can keep offsite. However, when I deselect this option, I cannot use the "When you connect..." option. Instead of the name of the external drive showing up in this option, it lists the name of the sparse bundle. So I left both unchecked and figured I would just run the two "scheduled copies" manually.

So I return to the "Scheduled Copies" window and see my two new copy routines listed. I select the first and click the "Copy Now" button however nothing happens. I see the note below that says "Nothing is schedule to be copied. To set up an automatic copy..." Perhaps this is why it will not let me manually run the two new routines I created?

I can't figure how how to make this work. If there is a better way to do what I'm trying to do? Ideally, I would like to plug in the external drive, and have both of these new routines automatically run and back up both drives to the external drive using sparse bundles as I know you can't backup multiple drives to one drive any other way without partitioning the external drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.