Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Question Backup directory rather than volume?

Sorry if the answer is in front of my face. I ran into a situation where I wanted to backup a specific (huge) directory to a separate volume across the network, but couldn't see how to do it.

From what I understand, I can not select a directory to backup rather than a volume, can I? SD will only backup entire volumes. (?)
Old 02-17-2008, 01:02 AM

rithban

You can get the effect you want. You are right that SD is mostly designed to copy entire volumes, BUT by scripting you can get only your directory copied.

You direct a copy containing the source volume of the directory in question. Then use the "New Copy Script" command from the File menu. You will see three tabs: the first lets you type yourself (or your user) a text reminder of what the script does. Be sure to check the "Let User Select This Script" box. The middle tab accesses pre-written SD scripts. There is one to exclude all files. The third tab lets you select directories/files and specify the treatment you wish for them. Here, select your directory and specify that it be copied. Name and save script, etc. It will then appear in the list of "Custom Scripts" which appears in the "using" drop-down menu right at the top of SD's active main window.

Dave discusses this all in detail starting on p. 20 of the User's Guide, using a little different example (copying all, but excluding a particular directory.)

Since you are familiar with copying over the network, suffice to say the scripting does not alter the usual SD procedure for that.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 PM

TMay,

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't take the time to read through that section of the manual closely because of the example. I was able to create a script that does the copy correctly, allowing me to keep the external drive in sync.

James