Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-28-2004, 05:35 PM

Is it just me?

First, SD is a great app, but I have a small problem.
Every time I use it with "repair permissions on" macos slows down to snailspeed afterwards. A reboot fixes this, but still I wonder why this doesn't happen when repairing permissions with Disk Utility. Any clues?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:44 PM

Hello!

This doesn't happen to me. When the computer slows down like this, what does Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) indicate is going on? I.e. what process/application is using the CPU?

Best.
--
Jonas
Old 12-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hm -- that's really strange, and we haven't had it reported before. SuperDuper! repairs permissions *with* Disk Utility (by calling the same low-level tool), so it certainly shouldn't slow down the system.

I think what Jonas suggested there is a good thing to do: check to see if there's some other program on the system that's taking time. Are you running anything 'unusual' on your system, or low-level, like Norton AntiVirus or the like?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:14 AM

Ok, checked unusual strain on the system:
Rebooted-->> checked memory usage: 1047 MB free--> Checked cpu usage:between 96 & 98% idle. Launch SD, do smart back up & repair permissions--> Quit SD--> checked cpu and memory again, results about the same as before--> all apps dead slow on launch, takes 10 to 15 seconds longer (spinning beachball)--> reboot, problem gone.

Again, it's no big deal, a user defined startup disk instead of the option to boot from the just created clone only, when SD is done, would be nice though.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I've been unable to reproduce this problem here, and haven't heard of any similar thing from anyone -- this is quite strange. We'll continue to check for reports of it, though.

Do you have NAV installed? Anything unusual? It'd help quite a bit if you could generate a System Profiler report -- choose File | Save, save to the native XML format and then send it to support. We'll take a look at that and see if there's anything in there to see.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:17 PM

Nope, no norton for me, avoid like the plague.
Will send the sys. profiler report later, it's kind of late, where i'm living, at the moment right now.