Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Truncated SuperDuper! Window?

I have SD! set to automatically backup every night. Usually, it begins by opening its window indicating its initial phase, "1. Prepare to Copy Files" on a green-stripe background, and proceeds with its brief preparation activities before launching into actual copying. When copying begins, it then shows the name of that phase (I don't recall the name, but it's also shown on a green-stripe background), and a progress bar appears, along with the copying details (number of files to be copied, how many have been examined, how many have been copied,...etc.).

Tonight, however, that didn't happen: After SD! finished the preparation phase, it didn't reveal the copying/progress phase. The elapsed time showed in the lower right-hand corner of the SD! window, and the details of its progress appeared in the log, both as they usually do; but the section in the SD! window that normally appears to show those details simply never appeared.

SD! quit after completing its backup. I opened it again to review the complete log (CMD-L), but it provided the log from six days ago, not the current one. I then checked the folder ~Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Saved Settings/.Default Settings.sdsp/Logs, but found that it doesn't contain any log files more recent than that one.

What happened??

Last edited by Nick; 09-06-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Did you delete and recreate your scheduled copies when you updated to v2.6.x?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Did you delete and recreate your scheduled copies when you updated to v2.6.x?
I'm still at v2.5.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

OK. Well... weird. I'd try deleting and recreating the schedule anyway. I'm guessing the main window didn't open because the update was trying to offer itself, which changed the window height during the animation that exposed the status.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
OK. Well... weird. I'd try deleting and recreating the schedule anyway. I'm guessing the main window didn't open because the update was trying to offer itself, which changed the window height during the animation that exposed the status.
OK...I'll try that.

Any idea why the log (and the other recent logs) aren't showing up?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Perhaps because the settings (where the logs are kept) are corrupt. Try the recreation.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Perhaps because the settings (where the logs are kept) are corrupt.
Strange...I opened SD! and asked for the log, and it brought up the most recent one (from last night). I then opened the Logs folder and all of the recent logs were there (unlike last night, when after the backup, I found that the past week's logs were all missing).

Quote:
Try the recreation.
OK, I just did that; we'll see what happens tonight.

But the log issue seems to have returned: After deleting and creating a new schedule, the recent log files all vanished again.

(What may be stranger is that I then checked my Time Machine backups, and the history seems to indicate that the Logs folder on any day doesn't contain the previous week's log files.)

I'm puzzled.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator

There are different logs for every backup: the manual backups and each schedule. If you delete a schedule its logs are deleted too.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
There are different logs for every backup: the manual backups and each schedule. If you delete a schedule its logs are deleted too.
Well, that explains a lot. Thanks.

OK...I decided I may as well install the update (I usually wait a while after an update is released before installing it), even though I saw no real need. I then deleted and created a new schedule. It’s been working fine, though I just became aware of what may be a change in behavior:

1. When I open SuperDuper! and go to the menu bar, Window —> Show Log is unavailable (grayed out), and CMD-L doesn’t work. The only way I can open the log is by clicking on the “Schedule...” button in the SuperDuper! window and then clicking on the “Show Log...” button.

2. From the SuperDuper! window: Options... —> General —> On successful completion, is set to “Do Nothing,” yet after SD! backs up, it immediately quits (as if I had selected “Quit SuperDuper!”).

Certainly, #1 Is new behavior; #2 is new as well, though I do believe that previously SD! would eventually quit after it was done.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Both behaviors have always been the case, actually. SuperDuper! leaves SD! in the state it found it on a schedule (if running, we leave it running; if not, we quit at the end unless there's been an error)... and scheduled logs were always only available from the Scheduled Copies window's "Show Log" button...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Both behaviors have always been the case, actually. SuperDuper! leaves SD! in the state it found it on a schedule (if running, we leave it running; if not, we quit at the end unless there's been an error)... and scheduled logs were always only available from the Scheduled Copies window's "Show Log" button...
Well, as far as quitting when it’s finished, I don’t recall it doing so as quickly as it does now. But if you say so....

I also recall accessing the log from the menu bar/CMD-L—as a matter of fact, I did that when trying to figure out why the main window was truncated—see my first post. (Hmmm...are you saying that log access from the menu bar only applies to the most-recent log if, in fact, that log was the result of a manual backup?)
Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Yes, Cmd+L is for the main window, and shows its backup.