Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-31-2005, 05:00 AM

Strange Alias appeared after a restore? Help!!!

Hi, David

I have used the SuperDuper! for three weeks. On my PowerBook G4 12', I have three partition, A-6GB, B-80GB, C-6GB ( so called sandbox )

Here comes my tiny problem. After a successfull "Backup-all files" from Drive A to Drive B, the program created a disk image in Drive B which is called A.dmg. I didn't use the Disk Utility from OS X to make a empty Disk first, does that matter? Anyway, after that, I tried to restore the Whole partition with that Image, please notice that in the process there is no external drive, every thing happened in the 100 GB internal Drive between three partitions.
After the restoring, the Drive A recovered finely, except three or four disgusting Alias file appeared. By the way, they also can not be deleted, I actually tried that, and then the whole system callapsed. Help, please.

Frome the forum search, I got a idea that it maybe caused by the wrongly named Disk Image, but I just can not find out what is the rirght way.

Thanks million in advance. Cheers!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, zhangtrinity.

It's not entirely clear how you created the image: did you use the checkbox in Options or did you use the "Disk image..." choice in the destination pop-up?

In both cases you're allowed to name the image file, but its name is really irrelevant: you can name it anything you want.

The "alias" files, though, sound like an ASR problem under Tiger. This has been reported elsewhere, and seems to be an issue with this low-level tool, not SuperDuper! itself. Can you provide me with the names of these aliases?

(Since the system crashed when you tried to delete them, I'm certain that they're part *of* the system that's normally hidden...)
Old 08-31-2005, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the quick answer.

1.for the image creating, I do use the "Disk Image"

2.for the "laias", I just can not remember them, such a horrible nightmare... But one of them contains the master key or some thing.

Before your reply, I didn't know it's about the low-level tool with Tiger,so now I'll go through the forum again to find some info. Thanks in advance for any more help.

-David
Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

OK -- if you chose "Disk Image" from the menu, then you can choose it again to give the image a different name, if you want. But, any name is fine, really.

For the aliases -- I really do think they were important files. I don't think you'll find anything about them in our forums, though, but I know there's been discussion of this in other locations.

There are ways to get the files to hide, but you *definitely* shouldn't delete them, as you saw!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:19 AM

Dave,

Thanks very much. Acturally I got your solution from the other thread, any way, is it
"you can use Terminal... the command: ls -a /".

Now could you tell me with the terminal ...command --how can I hide these aliases?

Sounds stupid, but I'm really not very good at commands. Cheers!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Before we go there, according to Apple, this problem should be resolved in 10.4.2's low-level tools. Are you running 10.4.2?

I also need to know the *names* of the files you're seeing.