Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 AM

Restart after cloning boots from clone??

Can someone help me figure out why it is that after successfully cloning my primary startup drive (Intel MacPro | 10.5.2 Leopard), subsequently restarting my computer results in my computer booting from the newly cloned drive (firewire 800 external drive), and not my regular preferred internal drive as it should?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:54 AM

I have had the same issue

The fix for me was to run maintenance using disk utility - I had lots of erros that needed fixing (disk warrior still not 5.2 compatible yet) from the clone, repair permissions, and using leopard cache cleaner, to clean all caches (deep cleaning). I suspect something in my boot cache was screwy in addition to the fixes done by disk utility. Before doing that I reset the pram and fixed permissions (which didn't solve the problem). You might want to start with pram reset as that is where the machine stores boot info. Also, are you sure your battery is holding up ok? At least for me, all is now well. Other weird symptoms I had included various cloned boot drives not having proper names when I booted using option key.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Are you sure the drive isn't set as the startup drive in the startup disk preference pane?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Are you sure the drive isn't set as the startup drive in the startup disk preference pane?
I am absolutely positive that it was not ...correct me if I am wrong, but the only way that the 'wrong' drive can be selected in the startup disk preference pane is if its been selected manually....I did not manually switch anything, but sure enough upon restarting my computer, it definitely chooses to reboot from the cloned drive and not the primary OS as it should boot from...
Quote:
The fix for me was to run maintenance using disk utility - I had lots of erros that needed fixing
I will try to run some maintenance programs like Leopard Cache Cleaner, Cocktail and Onyx while booted from the clone drive, then re-run the SuperDuper and see if it happens again...if it does, I'll just reformat the clone drive and write zeros to it, then use SuperDuper to completely erase then copy the drive again from scratch...I am sure that will work (said with my fingers crossed behind my back)...

I'll let you know how it turns out...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator

No, that's not the only way: it could also happen if you've selected an "On successful completion" option in SD! to set the backup drive as the startup drive... but if you open it, and select the internal drive, and restart a few times, that'd tell you whether simply resetting the current choice will "fix" the problem.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 PM

I just have it configured to quit superduper upon completion...Here are my settings...

Old 03-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

The settings in the Option window are not the settings in the scheduled copy, though. Click "Show Log" in the Scheduled Copies window and send me the log with the "Send to shirt pocket" button.