Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 04-03-2006, 09:34 PM

My source drive filled up!

I wanted to try SuperDuper today since I had read so many rave reviews. My first experience however is far from ideal. I selected my currently booted under 'copy', and my empty, newly formated LaCie drive under 'to'. I choose Backup - all files (since I haven't registered/purchased yet I don't have as many choices). I hit 'Copy Now', authenticated and when on my walk.
My source disc is a 100 gb drive with about 50 gb's of data on it. The LaCie is 150 gb and empty.
When I got back, SuperDuper had stopped after copying 17 gb with an error that it could not proceed because the drive was full.

Indeed it was full but it was my source drive! It has 0 bytes available!

I can't even see what I need to delete! There is nothing on the external drive.

Any suggestions/help?
Thanks,
Pat
Old 04-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
OK, Pat. It sounds like the external drive failed and "fell off the bus", but this could be due to an AntiVirus program, too.

If you're using Intego's VirusBarrier, you should simply restart your machine and the space will return. Make sure to disable VirusBarrier, and try your backup again.

If not, eject the external drive if still attached, and use Finder's "Go To Folder" command to open the "/Volumes" folder. Look in there for a folder named the same as the external drive. If there, delete that and empty your trash, and the space will return.

Now, though, you need to determine why the drive failed in such a spectacular way. Do you have anything else attached to FireWire?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:12 PM

No antivirus software. I deleted the external drive in the /volumes folder and emptied the trash...I have not recover the space I had before. Just to have some elbow room, I deleted a few big files that I had elsewhere but the source drive should have at least 30 Gb free and I only have about 10...
I'll think the external drive was still attached when i restarted so I'll do that again without it.

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Administrator

The only things I'm aware of that can take this kind of space are the issues I mentioned: the log for the run should tell you exactly how much space was available when we started. The statistics are right at the top: run SuperDuper! and press Cmd-l, and the log will open with the info.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
The only things I'm aware of that can take this kind of space are the issues I mentioned: the log for the run should tell you exactly how much space was available when we started. The statistics are right at the top: run SuperDuper! and press Cmd-l, and the log will open with the info.
Hmm...well..I'm back from my restart, nothing has changed...I guess I'll go through the computer and see what I can clean out.

When I do start up SuperDuper, I get a message saying it cannont find the external harddrive (I used disk utility after the initial problem to erase/repair it but renamed it the same thing). For some reason after Superduper stopped, it had added a -1 to the name of the ext. drive.

I can't really get anything from the logs, should I post them here? They are fairly long...

Thanks!
Pat
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Administrator

The "1" is because there was an additional folder in /Volumes with the name of the drive, and thus the re-mounted drive had a "1" to make it unique.

Well, if you read the top of the log, you'll see how much space is available. But, if you'd like, just copy/paste the log into a message to support, and I'll take a look. Don't post it here, as it won't do people much good.