Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2006, 06:56 AM

How big - the clone destination partition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
We've got a "preserve" option planned out that might allow this to happen in the future...
...the best thing to do is not keep things on the destination volume that are not backup files. Instead, partition the drive, and keep your "real" files there. It's much safer, and easier to restore, too... even with simple tools that don't allow any selection at all.
Oh well, the ice is broken. I've just done my first ever partitioning on a computer. I'm a switcher and I haven't even done this on a PC before. OK, I've created two partitions on my iOMEGA 250GB external HD with the help of Disc Utility, and I'm wondering if the size of 80 GB is enough for the true clone of my system. I have a Powerbook 15, 1,5 GHz with 512 RAM.

The idea here is that I clone my internal HD of 80GB capacity (where there's some 37 GB free and my intention is to keep at least 20 GB always free) onto the "iOMEGA-OS X clone" partition which is 80 GB big, and that the other partition is ca 155 GB and acts as my spare HD space that I can use for storing, editing music or film etc.

Right now (and I guess) while most of you in the US are in the dark, my Mac is zero-erasing the first partition of 80GB and I'll do the same with the other partition. Hopefully my Mac won't get a HD failure right now while I'm doing all this, I guess I'm not that unlucky...

So, is the size of 80 GB OK for the cloning partition or should I leave some 10GB "headroom"?

And if you suggest I increase the size of this partition, do I need to zero-erase it again after resizing?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Last edited by homesick; 01-05-2006 at 07:07 AM.