Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM

Unhappy Backup User Files confusion

Maybe it's just me, but the instructions on use of the "backup user files" using smart update seems misleading. I had a SuperDuper generated bootable clone of my main hard drive on a second drive. I've set a schedule for this to backup every couple of weeks. I decided to set up a second backup of just my user files to that same drive, thinking I was just going to replace just changed user files...NOT erase my entire backup drive with just my user directories.

Did I set something up wrong or is this the expected behavior. I was used to doing this with Synchronize Pro. I'd rather not backup the entire drive all the time in order to have a system backup that I can go back to if a major OS update goes bad. But I do want to routinely back up my user directory.

Thanks!

Last edited by mss; 02-12-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Well, this specific case is covered in detail in the User's Guide, and it's also explained in the "What's going to happen?" section of the UI: Smart Update makes the destination exactly match the selections from the source, and it's just like an erase-then-copy, but faster.

As such, pretend you erased the drive and then copied your user files... and that's the result.

You should always use "Backup - all files". It won't copy files that haven't changed.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:36 PM

Yeah, I know I should have read through the manual. It was so easy to set up though... But I get it.

It would be nice though to be able to just do a smart backup of the user directory (copy and erase only files that have been added, changed or deleted) to a bootable drive leaving everything else untouched. For example, if I first backup just my user files, and then update my main drive to, oh say, OS 10.5.2 and it hoses everything, I can quickly boot off the backup and get back to work. Synchronize Pro X does this but the interface is kind of clunky, keeps forgetting what drive to copy to under Leopard, and dang, SuperDuper is so much easier to use.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Administrator

That's what a Sandbox is for, so you might want to take a read over that, too...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:24 PM

I'd like that functionality too, but for a different reason.

Hello.

I, too, would like the functionality of being able to do a Smart Update on the Users data only, without cloning or erasing the OS non-Users files. Or, for that matter, the ability to do a Smart Update on any subset of your data without cloning or erasing the rest of the files.

Three days ago I cloned my drive onto an external drive (using a Smart Update of all files) not realizing that since I had booted my stable system two days prior, something had happened which would allow it to boot but not progress to the login screen. Thus, I had damaged a booting system. It wasn't SuperDuper!'s fault, of course.

I don't use SuperDuper! so much to keep an identical copy of my internal disk as to keep an identical copy of my Users data (and my TeX installation, together with a few other scripts I've installed in /usr/local/bin/). I like to have a bootable external drive, however, so that I can boot from it now and then to run DiskWarrior or do other repairs (not too often). Of course, I could partition the external drive to have one with a pristine System to boot from and the other to have cloned data. That is what I guess I'll do.

Thank you for SuperDuper!. Please do not think of the above as a whine and that I think you owe it to me. I'm happy with SuperDuper! as it is and I think you've done more than enough for the registration fee.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion!