View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Thumbs up Thanks! Hope you'll permit a follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
The encryption is at a lower level, so there's no problem backing up the separate band files inside the bundle. Note, though, that the volume should not be mounted when you back it up.

The password for the bundle/image is in the image/bundle itself, unless you explicitly also add it to your keychain.
Your warning prompted me to revisit information about Time Machine and FileVault. Apparently, Time Machine won't work with FileVault unless you're logged out of your user account (Time Machine skips backing up the Home Folder) which makes sense in terms of not screwing up the encryption. I've never used FileVault, and I'm wondering now what Time Machine displays in its "Time Travel" interface for the Home Folder. Can it "see" individual changed files that it's backed up previously while the user was logged out, or does restoring require restoring the entire home folder?

I know this isn't a Time Machine Forum, but I'm just trying to understand the capabilities of the individual backup and restore solutions.

Thanks again for your prompt response to my original question!

Jim Robertson