Thread: Old to new!
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to microwe
Dave thank you for the reply. I am going to be completely honest and admit that after searching the web for hours and hours for the best way to change my int h/d and then reinstall all data I am 100% confused. I honestly don't know where to start.

Would you please be kind enough to start me off by confirming the following. Do I install my brand new h/d in my MBP then install Snow Leopard from the DVD that came with the it so that I can then partition the new drive in Disk Utility, if not how do I partition it?

Am I being completely stupid to think that I can then copy the SuperDuper backup that exists on my external drive into my new drive that I have just installed. Please enlighten me if I am talking rubbish.

From my searches, a lot of users have recommended that one should install the new drive in an external enclosure, then using SD make a backup of the int h/d. They then recommend that the two drives are switched so that the new drive is now in the MBP with the backup data on it.

I have never really understood what is backed up with SD so now is the time to ask. When you say it makes a clone copy does that mean that everything is backed up or just files. If it makes a true clone of my MBP hard drive why can't I just reverse the process and back up from my ext h/d to the newly installed drive in my MBP?

I apologize if I am asking the most basic of questions, and to some users talking complete nonsense. It is times like this that I envy the youth of today being brought up with modern technology. I expect that the majority could do what I am trying to achieve with their eyes closed. However, when you were born in the 30's things are a little harder to grasp.

Michael.