View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 AM

A Big Thank-you, and how long should an inital back-up take?

First up, I've been using SuperDuper! and its Smart Update feature for a while now to create a bootable daily backup of my internal hard drive. Unfortunately I got to make use of it in earnest last week when my nice shiny 18 month old 1.5Ghz G4 Powerbook decided to blow up!... Not much fun, apparently it needs a new logic board and the repair will cost as much as buying a new one, You would think that a £1500 laptop would last more than 18 months!

Anyway, thankfully I had an old eMac under the desk and I was able to simply connect this to my external firewire drive which contained a clone of my powerbook drive thanks to SuperDuper!. This meant I could boot the eMac from it and continue working.. THANK YOU SUPERDUPER!!

Of course, all this means I have essentially been working from my Back-up so I have now bought another external Hard Drive (the internal drive on the eMac simply isn't big enough) and I am in the process of creating another bootable clone using SupeDuper!. The bootable drive that I'm attempting to clone contains about 60GB of data and so far SuperDuper has been running for 10 hours. According to the progress bar it is about a third of the way through the copy process... Just how long should it take? SHould it really take 30 hours?? Both drives are 7200rpm, one is connected to the iMac with Firewire 400 the other with USB 2.0

Thanks.
Al.