View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The existing version, 1.5.5, supports Tiger, and will work fine.

The only issue is that, due to incompatible data formats, the Safety Clone cannot be used between Panther (or Jaguar) and Tiger without taking some precautionary steps. Specifically, the format for Mail, iSync and iCal is different in Tiger.

(The Safety Clone works fine *in Tiger* -- in other words, when both the base volume and Sandbox are Tiger volumes: these are only issues with pre-Tiger OS X and Tiger.)

Let me go through those each in turn (I'll be writing a little white paper about this);

Mail
If you're using IMAP for all your mail needs, you don't have to worry about Mail. If not, it's important to recognize that the mailbox storage formats in Tiger have changed. Any mail received in Tiger that is not stored "on the server" (e.g. IMAP) will not be visible when you roll back to Panther.

To work around this problem, I strongly suggest a full migration to IMAP as soon as your ISP allows. (.mac is IMAP already, if you're using that).

Otherwise, you might want to use your POP settings to keep files on the server as long as you can, to allow the mail to be retrieved for both Panther and Tiger.

iSync
iSync's data was completely changed in Tiger, and isn't compatible with Panther. We'll be releasing a special Safety Clone script that doesn't share the iSync data to work around this issue.

(If you're in a rush, you can create your own Safety Clone script, include the existing one, and then add a command to "copy" /Library/Application Support/SyncService.)

iCal
iCal has also changed its data storage format. It's advised to back up your Library/Calendars folder (off your Home), since iCal will convert and delete your existing calendars, making them invisible to Panther.

Changes made to your Tiger calendars won't be visible in Panther, and -- once converted -- Panther changes won't be visible to Tiger either.

That's about it: I wish there was something we could do to handle these cases better, but alas when Apple changes data formats this radically, it's not possible to isolate as completely as we'd like.

In any case, a backup works wonders!