View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Some solutions for you.

First, thanks for posting and checking out netTunes -- I appreciate the time you've spent evaluating it.

To reply to your "nice to haves":

1. This is something that I've been looking at for a while. I can get the menu bar information using a technique that would, unfortunately, require you to turn on the "Accessibility" control option. I've been a bit reluctant to do that, because it opens a potential security hole (which is why it's not on by default). I'm still looking at it.

Note that you *can* access anything that might have a shortcut by simply typing the shortcut key -- as long as that key isn't interpreted locally, thing'll open up. (Some entries, like Preferences, have two shortcuts, one hidden -- try Cmd-y .)

2. I've recently implemented a reasonable AppleScript interface that allows a number of things to be accessed, but did not implement the playlist contents due to its potential size (one big problem occurs when you try to bring across the playlist that represents the entire library...when I tried it with my library, which contains about 25,000 songs, it took forever, which was one reason I took the approach I did).

That said, I'll rexamine this issue at a later date. One potential workaround: use iTunes' native playlist sharing to see what's coming up?

3. Some of the information (rating) can be edited with the AppleScript interface very easily: you just set the rating for the current track. I can give you the exact code, should it be useful to you.

Thanks again! If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know.