View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
First -- sorry it took me so long to reply to your message. I've been on vacation for the last week or so (and, before that, I was at Macworld), and had sketchy access to the Internet.

Let me give you my own real-world example of netTunes usage -- hopefully, that'll work. I can't include a "real" diagram, but I'll provide a simple ASCII one. I'm sure, since it's pretty simple, that you'll be able to extrapolate.

My basic setup is:

PowerMac G4 (main machine, includes my iTunes library)
|
| (network, including PhoneNet bridge)
|
iMac (in room with Stereo, connected with an M-Audio Sonica, line-out, to an Aux connection on the stereo)

Other computers include some PowerBook and iBooks.

The iMac's music library is a simple, drag-and-drop import of the library on the PowerMac (referencing the PowerMac's library). I've discussed that elsewhere on this board.

So, the iMac runs the netTunes server. This makes the interface of iTunes available to all other Macintosh computers on my network (or wireless network), as long as you install the netTunes client. (If you purchase netTunes, you're allowed to install as many clients as you want -- as long as you've only installed the number of servers you've paid for.)

To control iTunes on the iMac, I simply start netTunes. The server shows up automatically, and I can either use the "direct control" buttons to start playing, or I can open the remote interface window and see iTunes -- the remote iTunes, actually running on the iMac -- on my other machine. I can then manipulate that copy of iTunes any way I'd like, including choosing playlists, searching for songs, artists...whatever.

The sound goes into the stereo which -- in my house -- is then sent around to the various other rooms. Any Mac can change what's playing by simply accessing the iMac with netTunes -- and, of course, you can also change it on the iMac itself.

Hope that helps to explain things -- let me know if anything is unclear, or if you have other questions!