View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM

reformat fat32 or ?

Hi all,
I'm new to this site and Superduper - I got it on recommendation from many Mac users, and because the free Retrospect that came with my MyBook firewire drive was annoying.

I want to use my MyBook mostly for photo storage and backups, but I didn't realize until now - now that all my photos are moved over and organized - that the drive is a Fat32 instead of HFS (these terms are still new to me, so please bear with me as I try to figure it out). So I've been dreading having to empty my MyBook just so I can reformat it so Superduper could backup to it (I have an old usb drive that I would have to reformat from PC to take the photos temporarily, but it would probably take all day!). Sorry for the long story!

However, I've been reading on the forums about partitions and disk images (although I only understand them as vague concepts so far) - is there a solution there that would work for me instead of having to reformat my MyBook? I would like to make a bootable backup (?) as well as do regular back-ups, but I'm not really sure what I'm getting into, so I'm hoping for a simple solution which is also best for the long run... Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!