View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 05:03 PM

OK, the external drive is a LaCie Quadra d2 500GB enclosure that I replaced the drive in several years ago. It has always worked transparently for SuperDuper bootable backups with my previous Intel system running Mountain Lion. Now I'm on an M1 system running Big Sur.

But let me ask here. Now that I allegedly have external bootable backups created using your recipe (I've created a daily external backup and a weekly eternal backup that are to be manged through SuperDuper scheduling), should I expect to see them both offered in SysPrefs->Startup Disk? Right now, I see precisely one startup disk offered there, and that's my internal system disk. That being said, Power+Boot DOES show both external backups as being available for startup. So System Preferences doesn't know about them, but I guess Power+Boot does.

But when I choose one of those external bootable backups from Power+Boot, the machine starts to reboot (and I'm hoping it's doing so on the startup volume I chose). Then, quite strangely, when the boot progress bar is about halfway, it seems to boot AGAIN - booooong, big apple on the screen, and once done, it is apparent that I'm just booted into my internal disk. It's as if it starts to boot on my external drive and then decides, nope, I'm gonna go with the internal drive after all.

I did have two partitions on this disk, but I killed those off, and I now just have one partition with two volumes that I use for the two backups. I'm still a little hazy about the difference between partitions, volumes, and containers, but I've been led to believe this should work. SuperDuper sees both of those separate volumes, and I can back up to them independently.

I will bring this up in support.