View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 PM

Question Pre-maiden-flight questions

My G4 iMac running OS X 10.2.8 is starting to freeze up fairly often. I often tune up the hard drive with Micromat Drive 10 (which I run from the bootable Drive 10 CD). In the past, Drive 10 has often said the directory structure needed some tweaking, but this time the error msgs are a bit more ominous, and I'd really like to have a backup before I give Drive 10 the go-ahead to fix things. It strikes me as something to fix on general principles, whether it's causing the freezes or not.

I have a 40GB internal hard drive (~22GB free) and a 120GB FireWire drive w/4 x 30GB partitions, so theoretically I could have 4 sandboxes. I've used SuperDuper! a few times to do a full copy to one partition or the other on the FW drive, just to get the feel of it, but this will be the first time I've had SD turn a wheel in anger, so to speak. I'm the only user on this Mac. I've RTFM, but I still have a few questions.

So, do I do a full copy, a Safety Clone, or what? Will the directory-structure problems (if there are in fact any) on my internal HD be copied to the sandbox? Should I apply Drive 10 to the internal HD, or to the sandbox? Am I right in understanding that I can boot from the FW drive? As I said, I've been running Drive 10 from the CD, but I assume that if I installed it on both the internal HD and the sandbox, I could then run it on a drive other than the drive I booted from?

As you can imagine, I'm trying to pick my way carefully on this! Thank you.