Thread: copy ACLs ??
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Lightbulb

Yes, I've migrated many Macs, many times, over many years with SuperDuper before as well with no issues whatsoever except maybe having to re-register a few apps and a small adjustment or two afterwards.

I think the big difference this time was the clone failed because the new MPB i7 uses a much different architecture for its Mac OS than the MBP Dual 2 Core that preceded it.

That's partially why to this day there still isn't a bootable version of Diskwarrior for the 2011 MacBook Pros.

Sucks, but that's the way it goes with IT sometimes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The other thing is I was in a dire situation where my MBP had to be replaced with severe time constraints (I was right in the middle of a project where all the PCs were down for an entire business and they were going to go out of business if not back up ASAP) and I was literally taking entire folders from my Library on the clone dmg and just throwing it onto the new Mac so all the massive amount of settings, software registrations, etc. were in place. Migration assistant failed and, of course, the SD clone wasn't booting the new Mac at all either because the hardware required different components under the hood as I mentioned earlier.

When I took it into the Apple store later, the head guys there couldn't even believe it was running as well as it was considering what I had to do without a working clone, a Time machine backup, or Migration Assistant. I do think I would have had a better experience if I had also had a Time Machine backup to work with, but I had come to rely on SD working so flawlessly all these years, I didn't use Time Machine (to my own folly & that'll never happen again).

Surprisingly, this machine is doing pretty well overall... considering. When things cool down in the future, I'm going to do a complete, clean, fresh reinstall of everything and get all my settings transferred over. I'm not exaggerating when I say that'll take 1-2 weeks with solid 10 hour days to complete. In the meantime, I try to make this machine run as best I can.

Last edited by Cow; 07-20-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: UPDATE