View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 01:28 AM

Fixed: [ SD hangs / freezes while doing "backup - all files ]

Hi Fellow SD users,
I finally managed to uncover the "riddle" of why SD keeps on hanging or freezing and my external drive disbooting itself every single time I tried to backup my entire hdd to a sparse image. First of all, What happened earlier in system.log is the following error: "ComputerName kernel[0]: jnl: flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5" repeating itself. Googling it leads me to nowhere. Also using the command "fs_usage" does not printf any error the instance the SD hangs / freezes and the HDD shutdowns. The problem seems so simple and a no-brainer but one that an idi0t like me dont realize it until now: My HDD apparently overheats and the internal functions in the drive's ROM "initiated a secondary protocol" to shut itself down. "Duh!!!"
I managed to have a complete sparseimage backup now when a fan is blasted on the external drive while the backup process was in progress. So don't be a cheapo like me. Invest in an external enclosures w/ built-in heatsink or even better fan|s for those of you who are || are thinking of backing up externally.

-yoha