View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Purchasing advice needed - backup strategies

I'm thinking of leaving Retrospect (which has been flaky for me for awhile), and I've heard very good things about Super Duper.

Before making the move, I hope someone can check out my backup strategy and confirms that it's consistent with Super Duper . Or how close can I come? What practices will I need to change if I use Super Duper?

I rotate backup drives daily, weekly, and monthly.
Monday through Friday, I backup changed files to a firewire drive, and I rotate back and forth between two drives (so I can keep one stored offsite). I don't backup applications or music or cache files. (I have a separate backup drive I just use for music files.) At the beginning of the month, it does a Full backup on each drive.

I rotate between two weekly backups and do that backup on Saturdays. It also just backs up changed files except for once every other month, it does a full backup. It does not backup applications or cache files.

Then on the first Sunday of every month, I have a drive that has a full backup scheduled, and it gets a complete copy of the Mac.

So what can you tell me -- will Super Duper do what I'm looking for?
Chuck