View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Hi Kool,

Did you by any chance create the Safety Clone while the FileVault-ed user was logged in?

When a FileVault-ed user logs in, the contents of your user's home folder (i.e. the FileVault sparse image and the Library folder) are moved to an invisible folder "/Users/.username" and the sparse image is then mounted on your home folder "/Users/username".

By sharing "/Users/.*" in this situation, SD! has probably also created a link on the Safety Clone back to the invisible folder with your sparse image. When you subsequently start from your Safety Clone and try to log in as the FileVault-ed user, the OS may not know how to deal with an already existing "/Users/.username" and/or it being a (now dead) link.

I hope this makes some sense. Even if it doesn't, I would suggest in any case to backup and clone from a non-FileVault-ed user, with all Filevault-ed users logged out.

This is just a guess at the moment, I'll do some tests tomorrow to check. But I have been using SD! with FileVault for a while now—by sharing the contents of the "/Users" folder and doing my backups/clones from another account—without any problems.

Ciao,
Roeland.