View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kir View Post
Peculiarity 1: When SD had finished via its message, my external HD's activity light continued to blink, so indicating continuing activity when there ought to be none. This seems to continue indefinately. I ejected the Ext. HD (but the first time it objected to the clone partition being ejected) then remounted the drive
This is either Spotlight or an AntiVirus program.

Quote:
Peculiarity 2: The new disk should have appeared on the desktop at the very top right corner, but that position was occupied by the icon for the internal hard drive which is always set as the startup drive. The new clone appeared merely as a generic HD icon elsewhere on the desktop. When opened, both the drive situated at the top right corner and the clone drive showed identical files. When I used to use Carbon Copy Cloner (for years) the clone appeared in the top right corner and the internal appeared elsewhere on the desktop merely as another HD.
Disk position is not a way to determine the current drive, but given what you said below (that you did eject it, which would not be possible, even though it would be an option) it hasn't started up from the backup drive... check in "About This Mac" to see what the current startup drive is.

Quote:
Peculiarity 4: On the other hand, I created a test document in TextEdit (launched in the usual way from the Dock, and I expected it to launch from the boot drive). When saving it I examined the offered file path and at the head of the path was indeed the clone!! And when it was saved, it appearted in the clone but was not on the drive in the top right corner. This seemed to confirm that the machine was booted on the clone.
Not if you could eject it.

Quote:
Also, when launching DiskUtility (11.1) and selecting the drive containing the two partitions, the partition used for the SD clone is listed as the boot volume.
Then I have no idea how you could possibly have actually ejected it. Are you sure it didn't just have an eject symbol? Did you actually eject it?

Quote:
Q4: What is APM please? Version Tracker lists it as a Qualifications Certificate! Is it a utility that will partition drives that SD will boot from without the peculiarities mentioned above, and where can I get it?
APM is "Apple Partition Map", and is likely what your drive has, but if you recently partitioned you should check: select the drive hardware in Disk Utility and look at the lower right side of the window, next to "Partition scheme". It should say "Apple Partition Map".