View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM

Train wreck

Gosh Dave,

The title says it all. I think that the cuba bit was just one very small part of what was happening. It looks like my boot drive was dying which was complicating everything as it would go into the spinning beach ball of death whenever I tried to access anything and one of the two backup drives was also dying. When I ran DiskWarrior on it there was an error message that the speed was reduced by disk malfunctions. It ran up a huge number of these. When I spoke with Alsoft they told me the drive was physically damaged. (As a side note, they told me that DiskWarrior will present a preview that allows the copying of files & etc if you are quick before it dies completely.)

Anyway, I ran DiskWarrior on the other backup of the boot drive and it found a few minor file creation date errors which I corrected and it ran at a normal (quick) speed. I have just finished making a new backup of the boot drive and am about to put what was originally a backup drive into service until I get an RMA of the boot drive that gave out. The other one is out of warranty and so I will disassemble it to salvage the magnets.

The data drive appears to be in good shape and it has backups that are current as of yesterday so I am beginning to feel a little relieved.

Thanks for your help!