Thread: Backup Failure
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Correct. I don't believe you have to recreate your schedule, but if you get an error about not being able to find the script (because it moved) you can do so.

Scheduled copies has an entry for each schedule you've created. Each of those can have a different script, the same script, etc - each is basically a separate settings document, and the script (along with the drives, options, etc) are contained within.
Well, I’m unsure what has happened.

I followed through with your instructions. There were then two scheduled “Smart Update” backups listed in the Scheduled Copies window:

Smart Update Nick’s HD Clone from Nick’s HD (this is the original backup script, scheduled to occur daily at 1:10 AM)

and

Smart Update LaCie from Nick’s HD (this is the “new” backup script, scheduled to occur daily at 11:10 PM)

The difference between the two scripts is that the first one is the standard “Backup – all files” script; the second one is the new one I created, “Backup – all files, except Copies of Backups folder,” where “Copies of Backups folder” is a 47.67 GB folder of old files that I had saved from my previous OS 9 machine when I got my current machine a year-and-ahalf ago. (Since I’ve long-ago saved the files from that folder to various folders on my current internal HD, I’ll likely soon be deleting the “Copies of Backups folder,” as my internal drive is getting pretty full.)

I then manually initiated the backup to the LaCie (the “new” scheduled backup), as I knew it would take a long time, and likely would run into the above scheduled backups later on in the evening. FWIW, I had a lot of stuff on the LaCie drive—files I had been saving to it by “dragging and dropping” from my internal drive for several months. Perhaps I should’ve erased it first, but I decided to let SD! handle that as it did its first “Smart Update.”

Things appeared to be working fine, though it was extremely slow. When the times for the actual scheduled backups arrived, they each showed up in red color in the Scheduled Copies window, with spinning gears next to them. But the “Smart Update LaCie” backup was still proceeding, so I didn’t give it any thought.

This morning, after more than 20 hours, the “Smart Update LaCie” still was running, and based upon the progress it had made, appeared to me that it would be completed in a couple of more hours. I was out for a few hours, and when I returned, I found a Growl notification that the backup had failed. I opened the log, and here’s what I found:

--------------------------------
| 12:57:16 PM | Info | SuperDuper!, 2.6.2 (87), path: /Applications/SuperDuper!.app, Mac OS 10.5.8 build 9L31a (i386)
| 12:57:16 PM | Info | Started on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM
| 12:57:16 PM | Info | Source Volume: Nick's HD, mount: /, device: /dev/disk0s2, media: Hitachi HDP725032GLA380, interconnect: Internal SATA, file system: "Journaled HFS+", OS: 10.5.8 (9L31a), capacity: 297.77 GiB, used: 266.49 GiB, directories: 109756, files: 1291528, ejectable: NO, ACLs: Enabled
| 12:57:16 PM | Info | Target Volume: LaCie, mount: /Volumes/LaCie, device: /dev/disk3s2, media: SEAGATE ST3320820A, interconnect: External USB, file system: "Journaled HFS+", OS: 10.5.8 (9L31a), capacity: 297.77 GiB, used: 217.74 GiB, directories: 97629, files: 1161058, ejectable: YES, ACLs: Enabled
| 12:57:16 PM | Info | Copy Mode : Smart Update
| 12:57:16 PM | Info | Copy Script : Backup - all files, except Copies of Backups folder.dset
| 12:57:16 PM | Info | Transcript : BuildTranscript.plist
| 12:57:17 PM | Info | PHASE: 1. Prepare to Copy Files
| 12:57:17 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Preparing Nick's HD
| 12:57:17 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying the integrity of volinfo.database
| 12:57:18 PM | Info | volinfo.database OK
| 12:57:18 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on Nick's HD
| 12:57:18 PM | Info | Refreshing Disk Arbitration ...
| 12:57:19 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for Nick's HD
| 12:57:19 PM | Info | Permissions on '/' are enabled.
| 12:57:19 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Preparing LaCie
| 12:57:19 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on LaCie
| 12:57:19 PM | Info | Refreshing Disk Arbitration ...
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for LaCie
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | Permissions on '/Volumes/LaCie' are enabled.
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that LaCie ACL support matches Nick's HD
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Preserving Spotlight state on LaCie
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Disabling Spotlight search indexing on LaCie
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | PHASE: 2. Copy Files
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Copying files from Nick's HD to LaCie using Smart Update
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Cloning Nick's HD to LaCie
| 12:57:20 PM | Info | Copying copy files with delete using script: /Users/Nick/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts/Standard Scripts/Backup - all files, except Copies of Backups folder.dset
| 12:57:21 PM | Error | SDCopy: Copy script: /Users/Nick/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts/Standard Scripts/Backup - all files, except Copies of Backups folder.dset does not exist\n: No such file or directory
| 12:57:21 PM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=22 (Unknown error: 0)
--------------------------------

Besides the fact that it failed, the time indicated was clearly inconsistent with the time I actually initiated the backup: It says it started today (not yesterday) at 12:57 PM, when in fact I had initiated it yesterday afternoon. Stranger still, a short while later SD! Began another backup—the “standard” backup (“Smart Update Nick’s HD Clone”), which it promptly completed:

(CONTINUED IN NEXT POST)