View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 05:54 PM

From MacFixit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
I'm not sure what you mean by Spotlight was "corrupting" backups. I certainly haven't seen that in my experience. Could you elaborate?

In SD! 1.5.5, we copy the Spotlight database from the source volume to the destination, where it's automatically rebuilt (because the volumes are different). But, indexing isn't disabled during the backup, so it can move more slowly than it would otherwise. In v2.0, we disable indexing during copy, and re-enable it after (as well as the privacy setting), but the index will be rebuilt (automatically) if enabled.

No corruption, though...
When does v. 2 come out? I have 1.5.5.

"Disable Spotlight for backup target volumes Users should disable Spotlight for backup target volumes (by using the "Privacy" tab of the Spotlight pane in System Preferences) before beginning the backup process to prevent live indexing as the files are copied.

Failing to do so can result in failed backups, significant performance issues, and other problems.

MacFixIt reader Thomas reports one such issue when using Retrospect to perform a routine backup:

"When trying to create my first bootable backup since installing Tiger, Retrospect stalled in the middle of the action with several errors.

"I concluded that Spotlight was indexing the clone-partition while it was written. When Retrospect wants to copy the files it finds newer versions already present that it can not overwrite because they are 'in use.' This appalls Retrospect so much - it doesn't even want to finish the rest of the

"So I used the Privacy-Tab of Spotlight's preferences to kick the backup-drive out of Spotlights universe - and the [Duplicate]-process went fine and complete this time.""

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...50606093407384