View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 04:35 PM

I'm a complete idiot

So, at 3AM after a week that has already been particularly hard, I just did something rather amazingly stupid. I wanted to back up my mac overnight, but just before crawling into bed, I realized that I'd run the program with the wrong external hard disk. Not the one that I use for backing up, but the one I use for storing all the stuff I don't have room for on my main drive. The stuff that isn't stored anywhere else. Mostly videos, including Seasons 1-9 of the Simpsons. Doh.

I stopped it about 15 minutes into the operation but obviously after that was after SuperDuper! ran its erasing procedure on the volume (I was doing a clean erase and backup).

I've tried googling/searching around but had no luck (search terms tend to tell me all the ways I can avoid making this mistake by using SuperDuper! :-). Can anyone tell me offhand if there is any conceivable way of retrieving the data? It's not critical stuff - which is why it was on there in the first place - but it would be nice to have back. My hunch is no, but I know I'll spend half of tomorrow at work trying to figure it out and would rather know if I need to just give up.