View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We do display the total of the files (etc) in the main window, Guy -- it would display a pretty low number if it was skipping nearly everything as you've indicated here (and, again, we've never seen before in all the years SD! has been out).

It's really hard for us to display a "warning", because a script can do pretty much anything, and even a regular "Backup - all files" could be skipping tens of thousands of temporary files, depending on how long your Mac has been up for, and what you've been doing.

Did you have more than one backup?
I still think it would be good to have an optional warning dialog. I don't always read the fine print in the program's output, but I do see three green bars indicating my backup was successful. I know that the little text inside the bars can could indicate the number is off, but heuristically, seeing three green bars indicates that the backup process was successful. It would be worth adding that extra safety measure for SD users. You are already calculating the numbers and it would require virtually no effort to add a dialog box which appears and notifies users if a target drive was dropped by a large percentage.

Yes, this may be intentionally done by some scripts and you cannot predict the script action, BUT it would be trivial to implement and very useful a warning for those of us who use the program to perform backups. At the very least, throw up a warning if the script is a "backup all", but the target drive ends up with a smaller number of files than the source.

Take this as a very strong feature request. Add an option to display an INFORMATIONAL warning if the target file count is dropped by a significant percentage. Even if I were running a script that intentionally causes such a drop, it wouldn't harm me to have a notification. However, if this happens and a user didn't intend it to occur, it would be infinitely better to have this plainly pointed out before further data loss is propagated.

Thankfully, I had some other Finder created backups from which to pull files and rebuild. My two most recent SD backups were a total loss.

Last edited by Guy Kuo; 06-09-2008 at 12:09 PM.