View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
hardware or software environment those files are being copied in is unstable
That's the thing. The hardware/software environment is stable. Zero crashes copying files or doing anything else for that matter. Zero crashes doing many multiple smart updates going on almost a year straight. The ONE time I run DW 4.4 on the laptop right before smart updating the same dmg clone and this stall happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
this is more correlation than anything else. SuperDuper! is simply copying files...if the hardware or software environment those files are being copied in is unstable, or 'locks up', it will look like SuperDuper! "caused" it (because, after all, we're running), but these high level operations (eg "Copy file a from drive I to drive II") are really performed by the OS, and the lockups are happening at a very low level...
Then why didn't it stall again while rebuilding the clone if there's an issue with the drive? I do understand that correlation doesn't equal causation. But, this will be the first and last time I ever run Diskwarrior on my computer right before smart updating a clone, that's for sure.

If my computer was already having issues beforehand or afterwards, I wouldn't be looking at this. But there's literally been no other issues with anything (including SuperDuper) until I ran Diskwarrior right before that attempt at a Smart Update.

That said, maybe it was some bizarre, temporary glitch in my high-end FireWire 800 G-Drive Mini that has never happened before (and is fine afterwards as well). I just find it strange that others have had issues with Smart Update and Diskwarrior as well.

Welp, thanks for the replies though.