View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 AM

"Migrate" Work from SD Backup (FW)?

My Mac's out of the house, and I'm writing this from a darkside box (sorry)...

I had an idle thought about a possible disaster mode, and couldn't readily find an answer in the FAQs, so let me bother you with an easy one.

Assume you have a valid bootable SD smart copy Firewire backup of your whole Mac laptop's internal drive. It boots fine.

Assume that laptop gets lost or destroyed. (It's an iBook G4/Tiger, if that matters.)

You buy a current Macbook or MBP.

Will Apple's "migrate" facility see the FW drive as a vailid source for migration of user data, accounts, mail, passwords, cookies, etc.?

How about user customization of common big apps? Do these get migrated? Do you have to install the sw first? Apple apps only, or all apps?

(I realize the last question is Apple 101, and not your job, Dave, but I genuinely don't know how consolidated preference settings are for common apps and utils. Are there any big ones you know of that don't follow these rules? (I'd guess Microsoft, based on past behavior (g).)

My excuse for this abuse: I've never done the above, and thus don't know the gotchas, and you do author a backup app...