View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 11:46 PM

Lightbulb After restoring, won't the aliases of Macintosh HD resolve incorrectly?

When does Jaguar update the aliases? Does it do them all at once when you boot or does each alias get updated as it is used? I think the latter because otherwise your process above wouldn't work. Also, right after cloning while still in Macintosh HD I did an INFO of a link in BKUP and it pointed back to Macintosh HD so I presume it resolved (incorrectly) at that time.

That said, if I use your sequence of steps above to clone and then boot BKUP and rename Macintosh HD to something else, when I clone from BKUP to restore I presume all the links on BKUP get activated and thus resolved correctly because Macintosh HD is nowhere to be found (i.e., renamed) and the path of least resistance is to associate with the corresponding path on BKUP. But, don't we have to do a similar step after we rename the original drive back to Macintosh HD and then we boot Macintosh HD? At this point won't the aliases on Macintosh HD resolve incorrectly unless I immediately rename BKUP to something else and then do something to force all the aliases to resolve (like doing another clone)? Then I can restore the name of BKUP.

This is trickier than I was expecting.