Thread: Backup Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 PM

Backup Advice

Hello, thanks in advance for any help.

I'm new to macs, backups, basically all of it. I have a new MBP, and a D-Link DNS-323. I would like to start making backups and was pointed to Super Duper.

I'm not exactly what I'm after, so if I can get some advice as what method to backup, what I should expect, etc, I would appreciate it. Here are some places where I have questions after reading the manual.

I have a NAS, obviously, so if I was to save a bootable backup, is there anything I can even do with it? Since it's not connected straight to the computer will I be able to boot from it somehow and get it on the MBP?

Since it's a NAS, would I be better off just backup up my important files and then reinstalling and moving the files back over in case of the need of a restore? If this is the case, are all my important files (mail backup, photos, music, located in my actual user folder? etc /users/lukin

I used the trial version and saved a backup, but I really have no idea how I would go about restoring from this so any help would be appreciated on this topic.

Does Super Duper save old versions of the files, or does it delete the old version from the backup?

Thanks for any input!