View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Unhappy sparse image files still not backing up properly

I am going to continue this here since I am still having problems with my SD backups to sparse image files on an external drive connected to my Time Capsule.

I have had so many problems with SD in the past week that I decided to start over with the external drive attached directly to my imac. I erased the drive, even renamed the single partition and used the directions above to recreate the sparse image files. I have 3 sparse images to backup my idisk; "idisk daily backup.sparseimage", and one for weekly and monthly. I also have a sparse image file for my mbp but it takes so long to backup to it that the idisk ones are great for solving this problem.

I used to call my idisk daily backup "idisk backup" and that still appears as a destination for my SD backups even though there is no file with that name anymore.

WHen I reboot and try to COPY NOW from the scheduled copies page and run smart update idisk daily backup from my idisk I get "failed to mount idisk daily backup"
HERe is the log:
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | SuperDuper!, 2.6.4 (89), path: /Applications/SuperDuper!.app, Mac OS 10.7.2 build 11C74 (i386)
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | Started on Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:39 PM
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | Source Volume: cwbrandt, mount: /Volumes/cwbrandt, device: /dev/disk2s2, media: Apple sparse bundle disk image, interconnect: File Virtual Interface, file system: "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+", OS: N/A, capacity: 10.77 GB, used: 1.76 GB, directories: 322, files: 1629, ejectable: YES, ACLs: Enabled
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | Target Image: /Volumes/mbp superduper2 backup via TC/idisk daily backup.sparseimage, name: idisk daily backup
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | Copy Mode : Smart Update
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | Copy Script : Backup - all files.dset
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | Transcript : BuildTranscript.plist
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | PHASE: 1. Prepare to Copy Files
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Preparing cwbrandt
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying the integrity of volinfo.database
| 12:39:08 PM | Info | volinfo.database OK
| 12:39:09 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Enabling permissions on cwbrandt
| 12:39:10 PM | Info | File system user/group ownership enabled
| 12:39:10 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Verifying that permissions are enabled for cwbrandt
| 12:39:10 PM | Info | Permissions on '/Volumes/cwbrandt' are enabled.
| 12:39:10 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Mounting idisk daily backup
| 12:39:10 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Preparing idisk daily backup
| 12:39:12 PM | Info | hdiutil: create failed - No such file or directory
| 12:39:12 PM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=0 (Undefined error: 0)

I can a get it to work only if I then open time capsule and click on the external drive to show the file names of the various sparse image files. ANd sometimes that doesn't even work and I need to reboot and start over. Needless to say that most of my overnight backups do not work because of this problem.

I emailed you in July 2010 about this problem but you couldn't help me with it then and I have just been getting more and more frustrated with it. I tried creating an automater workflow as a calendar item to run every night before SD would run but even though I could get it to work within automater, it never worked at night for me. THis was my first automater workflow so I probably didn't do it right.

ANyway, I can't believe I am the only one who has this problem and I am hoping you can tell me what to do.