View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villaman View Post
I definitely wasn't asking for or advocating a "mass mailing" but rather thought some kind of notification might be presented through the software itself. That sounds reasonable to me. If an application can check for updates I don't see why it can't check for incompatibilities as well. It might be an unusual practice but SuperDuper! is in a unique class of software and we place a lot of trust in it. At there very least, consider it a feature request then.
Well, I will put in a vote *against* this sort of "notification," which seems to be not unlike the ways some spyware works. Do we want software we have installed to audit our operating systems (and possibly other aspects of our computers) and then report back to the home company with such data, which will then have to be checked against some data base for what works and what doesn't and then a message or pop up sent back to the user to either warn against using or simply refuse to run due to not meeting the requirements for the current version? Which will lead to all kinds of users arguing that the "auditing" process was flawed (which is quite possible) and their systems really are ok and so forth.

I'm fine with SuperDuper noting that a new version is available and offering to download it, but doing an "audit" of the user OS to make sure it is "ok" is more than I want a program like this to do. I prefer for the software to stay on the simpler side here and hence fewer failure modes will be likely.

I think the person who upgrades his/her OS and then gets mad because some existing software doesn't work has things upside down. The user is the one who has the onus to make sure software works when changing the OS. This has always been the case in the computer world.

Also, it is very clear (to me) in looking at SuperDuper's web page that the latest OS to use it with is Tiger, and that for Leopard one has to wait until an updated version comes out. There are plenty of other software packages in a similar situation, by the way.

From the SuperDuper home page:
"Leopard Infomation
SuperDuper! 2.1.4 is not yet fully Leopard compatible. But we're working hard to get it done as soon as we can."

Sounds pretty clear to me.

Last edited by sdsl; 01-09-2008 at 02:02 AM.