Thread: Defrag
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 04:06 PM

OK, I'm probably being a fool here, but I think DiskWarrior doesn't really have much to do with defragging, aside from the common computer maintenance theme.

Defragging deals with the fragmentation of files across the physical drive, due to a lack of consecutive free blocks. Mac OS X attempts to prevent this automatically, but depending on your usage your drive may become fragmented anyway (mine, for example is a mess). Defrag programs tend to take forever, so instead I use SuperDuper! to just copy, erase the original, and restore. As far as I know, however, SuperDuper! performs no repairs/optimizations on the directory structures of the drive.

DiskWarrior deals with directory damage and optimization. This isn't really related to disk fragmentation as far as I know. So I don't see why using SuperDuper! to defragment your disk woul affect your DiskWarrior usage patterns. I'd definitely do a quick runthrough of DiskWarrior on the drive before copying with SuperDuper!, to ensure my new, defragged drive is in perfect condition.