View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 03:39 PM

Just a counterpoint to some of the views posted here ...

What some people are asking for is functionality that has been built into other programs, such as Retrospect, for some time now. One reason that SuperDuper is so highly regarded is that it does certain specific things and does them very reliably and well.

The kinds of things people are asking for are going to make the interface and use of the program more complex. This, in fact, has been the downfall of Retrospect, which has grown in complexity (and capability) such that it is considered fairly challenging to use.

When the clone stops being a pure clone, the possibilities for complications grow. People may modify a part of a clone and then wonder why the combination "doesn't work," resulting in posts to this forum.

I consider SuperDuper to be like Disk Warrior in some ways -- both focus on very specific functionality and appear to be the best tool available for doing those things. The developer may elect to add more "features" and complexity to SuperDuper, but I for one do appreciate its simplicity and reliability in its present state.

For the person who was experiencing trouble with his system, but wanted to keep his recent emails, documents and the like, it would seem that a candidate for that situation would be an "Archive and Install while preserving user files/settings." This preserves all user files and settings while installing a fresh new operating system. I have done this type of archive & install when I upgraded the OS and the entire process took about 30 min, most of which was spent downloading and installing updates and security updates. This is not that different from the time spent doing an erase and copy with SuperDuper ...