View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Smart Update, as it says, is like erase-then-copy. So you put other items on a volume that you smart update, those items will be removed when you smart update.

If your source drive is a 100GB drive, then 1.5TB is, indeed, too big. But if it might grow to 1.5TB of data, then it's not. Much of this is stuff you kind of have to decide for yourself...
Question 1
If the 2TB Drive has 2 partitions. one named "Mac HD Backup" and the other named "Artwork Backup" then don't I just choose the one I wan to back up to and use "Smart Update"? For example if I select the "Mac HD Backup" partition and select "Backup All Files" and "Smart Update" then it will clone the Mac Hard Drive and Copy over the files needed but won't touch the files in the "Artwork Backup" Partition. Copying files to one partition won't affect the other partition. Is this correct?

Question 2
I have spent a lot of time going through the steps (see below) I think I need to take after I partition the drive into 2 drives. Please tell me if my steps are correct as I need to do this tomorrow. Thanks.

To backup to: "Mac HD Backup"(This is the 500 GB partition in the 2 TB Drive)
You want to crate a "Clone" or exact copy of the Mac Hard Drive which can be "Bootable" in case of Hard Drive Failure.
1. Super Duper - "Backup Script"
First Time Backup Use: "Backup All Files" (Clones/Copies the Mac HD and will create a "Bootable" backup in case of Hard Drive Failure you can boot from this.)
Second or Third Backup Use: "Backup All Files"

2. Leave "Repair Permissions" unchecked.

3. Super Duper - "During Copy Setting"
First time Backup Use: "Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD" to backup the Mac HD (this will create a "Bootable" backup)
Second or Third Backup Use: "Smart Update Backup from Macintosh Hard Drive" to backup the Mac HD (this will create a "Bootable" backup but will only copy or delete files and folders as necessary taking less time.)

To backup to: "Artwork Backup"(This is the 1.5 TB partition in the 2 TB Drive)
You only need storage space for artwork and other files and you don't need it to be "Bootable".
1. Super Duper - "Backup Script"
First Time Backup Use: "Backup - User Files" (this is for storage and is not a "Bootable" backup. Good for storage of files)
Second or Third Backup Use: "Backup - User Files" (this is for storage and is not a "Bootable" backup. Good for storage of files)

2. Leave "Repair Permissions" unchecked.

3. Super Duper - "During Copy Setting"
First time Backup Use: "Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD" to backup the Mac HD (this will create a "Bootable" backup)
Second or Third Backup Use: "Smart Update" or "Copy Newer Files from Macintosh Hard Drive to Backup" to backup the Mac HD (this will create a "Bootable" backup but will only copy or delete files and folders as necessary taking less time.)
________
Washington Medical Marijuana

Last edited by Paint Guy; 09-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.