View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Thanks Dave and TMay.

I have read the Super Duper manual but I am confused as to the best way to do this. Here's what I'm thinking might work. Please tell me if this is correct?

I have 4 Drives.

A 100GB LaCie Drive (business and graphic storage)
A 300 GB Mac Hard Drive (Macintosh Hard Drive)
A 2 TB External Firewire Drive (Currently Empty)
A 2 TB External Firewire Drive (Currently Empty)

What I wanted to do was to keep one of the 1TB drives at home and store the other 1TB drives off the premises. Maybe I will have to "Clone" my Mac Hard Drive to a separate External Drive and then use 2 separate drives for storing my artwork. Here's why. If I Clone my Mac Hard Drive to my 2TB external drive then how do I also "Add" my artwork to the 2TB external drive without erasing the existing contents? Is this even possible if I want the 2TB external to be "Bootable".

I want to "weekly" Clone my Mac Hard Drive to the 2 TB External drives and then store one of them off site. The problem is my mac Hard Drive is only 300 GB and I have more files than will fit on my mac hard drive so how do I do this?

Here's what I thought might work. Please see if my steps are correct.

1. First I will copy all of my Artwork and Business Files from the External LaCie to the 2 TB Drive.
Super Duper Application:
Copy: "LaCie HD" to "2 TB Drive"
using: "Backup All Files"
During copy: Smart Update
Now all of my graphics should be copied from my 100 GB LaCie Drive to the 2 TB Drive.

2. Now I want to Clone my Mac HD to the 2 TB Drive.
Super Duper Application:
Copy: "Mac HD" to "2 TB Drive"
During copy: Smart Update (Smart Update will not erase files already on the external 2 TB Drive)

Now my Mac Hard Drive should be cloned to the 2 TB Drive.

3. Now my external 2 TB drive will have all of the (files and artwork) of my LaCie and a Clone of the Mac Hard Drive and the 2TB external drive will be bootable so if my mac crashes then I can boot from the 2 TB Drive. Is this correct?

4. Now I can just clone the 2TB Drive to the other 2TB drive and then store it offsite.
Super Duper Application:
Copy: "2 TB Drive" to "2 TB Drive"
During copy: Smart Update (Smart Update will not erase files already on the external 2 TB Drive)

5. Then weekly I will have to manually Clone the 2TB Drive to the other 2TB drive as I will be adding new artwork and files to the 2TB drive that is onsite.

My only fear is if I select the wrong setting then I will totally write over either my artwork or my applications. Is there a better way to do this or is this the best way? Should I be cloning my Hard Drive to a separate drive than my artwork? This would prevent me from overwriting something I don't want to over write. Please explain in detail. Thanks.

Also how do I know if my new Mac 2TB Firewire Drive is GUID or not. It probably is because it's a new drive. If I plug it in and Super Duper recognizes it (it's not greyed out) then am I good to go?
________
Paradise Park condo Jomtien

Last edited by Paint Guy; 09-18-2011 at 02:46 PM.