Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Superduper seems to change "ignore ownership on this volume".Help (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3955)

larrinski 04-09-2008 12:15 AM

Superduper seems to change "ignore ownership on this volume".Help

I have a family iphoto library and all our movies on a media external firewire drive that superduper backs up every 2nd day to an external usb drive. I use smartupdate, and it has been working fairly well, except 2 things.

The first is that superduper removes my selection to ignore ownership on this volume, and this seems to be causing some problems with other users logging in to the iphoto library or starting movies with dvd player. Is there some setting I am missing to NOT have superduper change this after every backup? It may be obvious, but I am missing it...

Second is more problematic. I notice every so often that my CPU is at 100% even when no applications are running and all the users are logged out except for myself. When I go into Activity Monitor the process that is causing the problem is an "applet". When I select Open Files and Ports, it says it is superduper. This problem has been around since I migrated an old user account. Any idea how to fix this CPU issue? Cheers!

dnanian 04-09-2008 07:47 AM

There isn't, no -- but if you set things up properly, you can give permission for all users to read/write a drive.

The second issue is that you have a scheduled copy but you're not logged in when it runs. Leopard -- unlike all previous versions of the OS -- runs "user" tasks when you're not logged in, but then "blocks" the task, causing it to spin before we even get a chance to quit. We're looking into how to work around the problem; you can use Activity Monitor to "quit" the 'applet' process.

larrinski 04-09-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 18840)
There isn't, no -- but if you set things up properly, you can give permission for all users to read/write a drive.

The second issue is that you have a scheduled copy but you're not logged in when it runs. Leopard -- unlike all previous versions of the OS -- runs "user" tasks when you're not logged in, but then "blocks" the task, causing it to spin before we even get a chance to quit. We're looking into how to work around the problem; you can use Activity Monitor to "quit" the 'applet' process.

Thanks. I will make sure not to log out on the days the backup is scheduled.
Good explanation on the problem. I couldn't figure out why it was doing it. That is very helpful!

I have everyone can read/write on the external. I have a feeling it may be related to iphoto then. There are times when iphoto kicks up an error about needing to repair the library, and asks for the admin password. Good to know it is not related to my backup app...