Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Backup Failure (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6050)

Nick 01-19-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 28534)
That's because it restored the previous settings after it finished the schedule, Nick. Delete and recreate the schedule that gave an error.

OK...I'll delete and recreate the “Backup – all files, except Copies of Backups folder” schedule, but not the original “Backup – all files" schedule. Hopefully, I won't make the same mistake saving the schedule to the wrong folder as I did before.

BTW: I don't recall if I included my SD! clone drive in Spotlight's "Privacy" list (I can't be sure, as that list apparently has been hosed, and I need to re-do it). Is it advisable to include that drive (along with my LaCie drive, which will now be a second clone drive) in that list?

Nick 01-19-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 28534)
That's because it restored the previous settings after it finished the schedule, Nick. Delete and recreate the schedule that gave an error.

I deleted it via SD!'s Scheduled Copies window, but it remained in ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts. So I manually trashed it. However, it still showed up in the Scheduled Copies window, even after I quit and re-opened SD!. Frustrated, I ended up deleting and recreating both schedules. Now everything looks "clean." I'll see what happens late PM tonight and early AM tomorrow, which is when each is supposed to perform its respective "initial" scheduled backup.

dnanian 01-19-2010 09:06 PM

A copy script (what you deleted) is not the same as a settings file, which is what gets scheduled. So there was no need to delete the copy script.

Nick 01-20-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 28537)
A copy script (what you deleted) is not the same as a settings file, which is what gets scheduled. So there was no need to delete the copy script.

So, you're saying that the settings file is what triggers the copy script? If so, then does that mean that by my recreating the same script, I'm automatically replacing the original one with a "fresh" copy of itself? I mean, I can't envision the ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts folder containing two identically named scripts.

And, BTW, where is the "settings file?" I don't see anything at all in what seems to me to be the folder in which it would be located (~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Saved Settings).

Nick 01-20-2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

BTW: I don't recall if I included my SD! clone drive in Spotlight's "Privacy" list (I can't be sure, as that list apparently has been hosed, and I need to re-do it). Is it advisable to include that drive (along with my LaCie drive, which will now be a second clone drive) in that list?
Should I or shouldn't I? ;)

dnanian 01-20-2010 08:02 AM

The settings documents contains the various options and drives, and a reference to the copy script, shell scripts, etc that are selected.

A scheduled copy's settings are in ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Scheduled Copies.

I would suggest adding the backup into Spotlight's privacy tab, mostly to prevent confusion (since Spotlight will find things on the backup drive otherwise).

Nick 01-20-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 28540)
The settings documents contains the various options and drives, and a reference to the copy script, shell scripts, etc that are selected.

A scheduled copy's settings are in ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Scheduled Copies.

OK...I see them. But in terms of the problematic "Backup - all files, except Copies of Backups folder" script, which was in ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Copy Scripts: Had I not deleted it manually (dragged it to the trash), what would've happened had I simply created the new version of it? Would SD! have automatically deleted the old version? Or would I have ended up with duplicates in that folder? IOW, it appeared that my deleting that schedule via the Scheduled Copies window did not actually delete that script...so had I not dragged it to the trash before recreating it, what would have finally ended up in that Copy Scripts folder?

Quote:

I would suggest adding the backup into Spotlight's privacy tab, mostly to prevent confusion (since Spotlight will find things on the backup drive otherwise).
Got it. Thanks.

dnanian 01-20-2010 09:04 AM

The schedule does not contain the copy script. It references it. Had you not deleted it, it would be in the drop-down for any number of other settings, as you'd expect. There would not be 'duplicates' unless you created another script, which you wouldn't need to do... after all, the point of the copy script is that it's reusable (most backups use "one copy" of "Backup - all files").

Nick 01-20-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 28542)
The schedule does not contain the copy script. It references it. Had you not deleted it, it would be in the drop-down for any number of other settings, as you'd expect. There would not be 'duplicates' unless you created another script, which you wouldn't need to do... after all, the point of the copy script is that it's reusable (most backups use "one copy" of "Backup - all files").

Not to beat that poor dead horse, but what happened when I deleted the schedule in the Scheduled Copies window and recreated it, as you had instructed me to do?

I understand that deleting the schedule is not the same as deleting the script. But you had indicated that things got screwed up because I had originally saved the script to the wrong folder, and that manually moving it to the correct folder was not the solution...that I had to delete the schedule and recreate it. But the way I did that was by following the same procedure that I used to create the script (as explained beginning on p. 20 of the User's Guide). IOW, I ended up recreating the actual script. So, had I attempted to save that recreated script to the Copy Scripts folder, wouldn't SD! have told me that the script already existed, and then asked me if I really wanted to replace it?

dnanian 01-20-2010 09:30 AM

It deleted the scheduled settings and recreated it, with a proper reference to the script that was now in a new location.