Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Windows partition with Boot camp (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3703)

djlynch 02-22-2008 07:25 AM

Windows partition with Boot camp

I hate windows but am buying into a business that uses proprietary software requiring windows.

If I want to use Mac hardware with windows through bootcamp and use SD to backup everything up, is that possible?

Will SD backup all the data on the windows bootcamp partition? Just curious, does Time Machine do anyhing with a bootcamp windows partition?

Other than Bootcamp, what way can I use windows and have SD backup all my windows data each night? I've heard of Parallels, but do I then need to have a windows backup program?

justG 02-22-2008 08:39 AM

SuperDuper! will only backup your Mac partition. You'll need a Windows backup solution to backup your Windows data.

http://shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965

Hope that helps!

dnanian 02-22-2008 10:46 AM

If you use VMWare or Parallels to run Windows from your regular drive, rather than BootCampe, you can use SD! to back up their image(s). But we can't back up a BootCamp volume.

djlynch 02-22-2008 10:51 AM

Okay. With VMware or parallels, what does it mean when you say "back up their images"? If the Hard drive crashes, can I restore with SD and have all my Windows data and programs?

I want to buy Mac hardware and use my existing Firewire drives to do nightly backups with a simple SD! restore if needed.

VMware Fusion or Parales? I have read that VM Fusion is "better" in terms of USB connectivity, printers etc

justG 02-22-2008 12:22 PM

When Dave says "images" he's referring to the virtual hard drives Fusion and Parallels Desktop create. To virtualisation software those images = Windows installation + Windows data, but to OS X they're just application data files like any other; consequently, SuperDuper! can back them up along with the rest of your data. Most Windows software runs fine in such an environment. You really only need Boot Camp if you're a non-casual gamer or if you're running CPU- and GPU-intensive software like a Windows-only 3D modelling application. If you can get by without having to boot into Windows, then yes, simply using VMware or Parallels will make your life (and backup routine) easier.

Regarding the actual software, I'm a registered Parallels user, but ignored my license and got Fusion anyway. I find it to be *much* better across the board: it's faster, it's more stable, and Fusion's Unity works better (in my experience) than Parallels' Coherence mode. Both have trials, so you can try them both, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend VMware Fusion.

Hope that helps.

dnanian 02-22-2008 01:43 PM

JustG's got it exactly right, and I'd suggest VMWare over Parallels as well.

djlynch 02-23-2008 08:20 AM

Thanks JustG! and Dave. That is exactly what I wanted to know. VMWare will be the way I go.

jsfitz22 03-30-2008 03:16 AM

Please explain how this works:

I use Windows XP via Boot Camp and Parallels (I have Parallels set to utilize the Boot Camp installation of Windows) and I use SuperDuper! to clone/backup my HDD - I originally used WinClone and SD! to clone my Mac OSX and XP HDD so I could upgrade my internal HDD in my Macbook and since then I have been copying my "Macintosh HD" using SD! - the was under the impression that SD! would not copy the Boot Camp partition/data, though I tested this the other day and SD! appeared to copy everything and I was able to boot into Windows from the backup directly (like I would from the original Boot Camp version) - I was also able to boot into Windows from the Parallels configuration.

How does this work? My Parallels virtual machine appears to just be a shortcut to point to the Windows partition, though perhaps not - that's the part I don't understand. And, how am I able to boot directly into Boot Camp Windows if SD! doesn't copy the NTFS partition?

Thank you.

dnanian 03-30-2008 10:15 AM

SuperDuper! won't copy a BootCamp volume. It seems likely that you started up from the original BootCamp partition when you started Parallels (it referenced the original volume name or ID).