Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Speed up iMac 2013 is this the right way? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6996)

pasha 02-28-2016 03:02 PM

Speed up iMac 2013 is this the right way?

My iMac 2013 with its 5400 RPM drive is getting slower.

I was thinking about using a Sandbox on a SSD with Share Users option so that Apps and System Files are on the SSD Drive (30Gb in my case)
and I expect faster load times (USB 3.0) while standard access to Documents (mainly small files, iPhoto or iTunes) that I could move to a faster external 7200 RPM 3.5" drive.

Alternative is to clone the internal drive entirely and boot from there even if that option is more expensive as it requires a larger SSD drive (512 GB)

Question 1 : Can the sandbox work that way?
Question 2 : How I can leverage the Time Machine Backup if I boot from SandBox?

Question 3: Sand Box or Clone?

Best Regards
Pasha

PS : SuperDuper is great!!!, Maverics here.

dnanian 02-28-2016 08:55 PM

You should be able to do that. You'd create a "Sandbox - shared users" on the SSD. That'll copy everything but the contents of /Users to the SSD.

Time Machine will likely recopy everything from both drives if you do this..but I believe it will run normally after. Note that you'll want to back up the main drive, for the most part - you'd going to use this just like a regular Sandbox.

Hope that helps!

pasha 02-29-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 33465)
You should be able to do that. You'd create a "Sandbox - shared users" on the SSD. That'll copy everything but the contents of /Users to the SSD.

Time Machine will likely recopy everything from both drives if you do this..but I believe it will run normally after. Note that you'll want to back up the main drive, for the most part - you'd going to use this just like a regular Sandbox.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for reply.
I didn't think about the hardlinks that from the Sandbox point to the internal drive. That will trigger Time Machine initially on a full backup.
However it's not clear to me (sorry not an English born here) what you mean by "..you'd going to use this just like a regular Sandbox." you mean I will make a copy of the Sandbox like I do today with the Internal drive?

Thanks!
Pasha

dnanian 02-29-2016 04:12 PM

No, I mean you'd boot from the Sandbox, but you'd want your backups to happen to the original drive, and you'd want to make sure that you update the original drive with any software installs, updates, etc. (I explain "copying back" in the User's Guide as well.)

pasha 02-29-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 33467)
No, I mean you'd boot from the Sandbox, but you'd want your backups to happen to the original drive, and you'd want to make sure that you update the original drive with any software installs, updates, etc. (I explain "copying back" in the User's Guide as well.)

Hi dnanian. Thanks. I forgot what's in the nature of the Sandbox...
Best
Pasha